Sunday, April 5, 2009

Some Yummy, Healthy Cookies.......

Man have I felt good today! Got lots of stuff around the house done! Grocery shopping is done for the week. Made more Mediterranean Tuna Salad and now I'm making healthy Fruit bars. They are supposed to be cookies but I prefer cooking them bar style. I've made these many times and I change them up almost every time with different fruits and nuts. They take quite a few ingredients but you can find almost all of them at Walmart. Notice there is no flour, no butter, no sugar! Healthy!! AND they are delicious. In fact the mix is so good before it's baked I think I could eat it for breakfast out of a bowl with some soy milk on top.

Putting the ingredients together....

Banana Date Bars

3 ripe bananas mashed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped packed dates
1 cup chopped dried fruit ( I used dried pineapple and dried cranberries this time )
1 cup raisins or dried currants
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I used a mixture of raw pecans, raw walnuts and raw brazil nuts)
1 cup rolled oats ( don't use the quick kind )

Stir vanilla and salt into mashed banana. Add remaining ingredients, except oats and mix together. Stir in oats. Press into a 9 x 9 non stick pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Here they are just out of the oven, crunchy 
around the edges just the way I love them!! 
Now if I can just wait until they are
cool to cut them.  
And Oh how good the house smells!!

2 comments:

Beth E. said...

Those oatmeal bars look wonderful. I'm gonna have to try them...thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your continued weight loss! :o)

Lisa said...

yummy Lisa! As I was scrolling down, my very hungry 15 month old saw the bananas, and then the bars, and is now as I type, saying Yumm Yumm!! Now he's whining it...guess I should go make him some breakfast! Keeping this recipe handy too...gotta try it. Yay on the numbers lost!!