Friday, April 17, 2009

Another Week has come and gone.......

Yay for Fridays!!!  Can I get an Amen?

I love my job but I sure am glad when Friday gets here.  Especially when Friday is as beautiful as today and even more when the weekend forecast sounds good like this weekend!  Love the 70's! What's your plans for the weekend?

The hubby bought a new toy today.  Well, I call it a toy but we really did need it.....a fancy new lawn mower.  I tried it out this afternoon and I like it pretty good too.  Sure does make mowing 2 acres a whole lot faster! We're really behind on getting our yard ready for spring and summer.  Gotta get busy and get some flowers in some soil.

We had a good week this week with our lifestyle change.  Time to weigh again tomorrow!  It's a little slower than I hoped but I'm gonna blame mine on Prednisone.  Only two more days to take it!!  I'm feeling so much better from the bronchitis.  I still have a cough and I think it's going to hang around a while, but I'm feeling much, much better.

Just made Vegetarian BBQ meatballs.  My first time using this recipe.  They turned out great.  LOL, I took pictures, but umm, there was no memory card in my camera.  Maybe I'll take one of the finished product before we dive in tomorrow.  Here's the recipe.  If you've ever been tempted to try tofu but were scared to, just try this recipe.  You'd never know it was in there!

Vegetarian Meatballs with BBQ sauce

Ingredients:

1½ c. bread crumbs (I used Progresso Italian crumbs)

2 t. parsley flakes (freshly chopped or dried flakes will do) 

½ t. sage 

½ t. Italian seasoning 

1/8 t. black pepper 

½ c. raw almonds 

½ c. raw walnuts 

1 pkg. Mori Nu tofu, firm (I happened to have extra firm on hand and used that) 

1½ c. onion 

½ t. garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, stir bread crumbs and parsley flakes.

In a blender or food processor, combine the sage, Italian seasoning, black pepper and nuts; chop finely.

Add the ground nuts to the bread crumbs and parsley flakes.

Into the same blender or food processor, add the Mori Nu tofu, onions and garlic powder to the blender or food processor; blend until smooth.

Pour the mixture into the dry mix and mix well.

Scoop or form the mixture into balls.

Place meatballs on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until slightly browned.

The meatballs will be a little dry on the outside, but will absorb a sauce nicely.

Makes about 36 balls.

After the meatballs baked I moved them to a 9 x 13 casserole dish, poured on about 1/2 bottle of my favorite smoky bottled BBQ sauce and returned to the oven, covered with foil.  I heated for about 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.  You could also use your favorite brown gravy instead of BBQ sauce or make a Swedish style meatball sauce.  YUM!



3 comments:

Christina said...

Amen on Fridays!! I too love my job but I love the weekend more!! The meatballs sound yummy. I may have to try them but omit the nuts (high fat)..do you think the recipe would work as well w/o the nuts? Hmmm and I'm not sure about the fat in tofu...lol sounds great anyway!

Lisa said...

The nut meal, after they are ground in the food processor helps to give them the meaty texture. Nuts do have fat, but it's the good kind and much healthier that the fat in any animal product. They would probably still taste good but have a different texture.

The Mommy said...

Just finished a delightful picnic at the playground, yet meatballs still sound yummy!