Friday, April 10, 2009

Busy Week, no time for blogging

Wow!  It's Friday already?  Where'd the week go?

I was busy as a bee this week.  Didn't have much time for blogging.  It takes a lot of time to fix healthy food!  We've had a great week though.  Still eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

Last night we had a craving for pizza.  We made one at home and it turned out great.  The hubby was wishing this morning that he had some leftover, but there was none.  

Mediterranean Veggie Pizza
1 thin Boboli crust.
1 turn around the crust from the EVOO bottle (rub it around with a paper towel).
2 tblsp. of pizza sauce and spread it all over.
We added sliced portobella mushrooms, fresh sweet onion, a few roasted red peppers chopped up, some sun dried tomatoes chopped, sliced black olives, sliced fresh roma tomato, torn fresh basil and some broken goat cheese sprinkled around, sprinkle with italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  
Baked it for 12 minutes at 400 and it was yummmmmeeeeee!!!  You can't get one with this much topping on it in a restaurant!  Who wants to have to hunt for the toppings?? Not me!

Here it is ready to go into the oven

 Here it is all baked up nice and crispy

Note:  I'm really liking goat cheese.  It's creamy, rich and so much easier to digest than cow's milk cheese.  We've only had a smidgen of it.  It does have a lot of calories and fat so it's a delicasy to be enjoyed just once in a while.  

Today I've baked a pan of sweet potatoes and made a pot of Split pea soup.  I forgot how much I love Split pea soup.

Split Pea Soup
Started with a bag of Goya dried split peas - looked and rinsed several times.
Put in a big pot and cover with water.  I added a can of Swanson Vegetable Broth and some salt and pepper and a couple turns around the pot of EVOO.
added a big handful of julienned carrots
a couple ribs of celery sliced thin
a medium onion diced

Cook on medium heat until peas start to break down and soup is thickened.  Stir often.  Taste test for amount of salt and add more if needed.  We like a dash of cayenne pepper added, but that's totally up to you.  

It was yummy for lunch with some Ciabatta bread baked crisp and broken up and added to the bowl like huge croutons.  The hubby had seconds!!


2 comments:

Christina said...

those recipes sound scrumptious!! I am a huge fan of goat cheese, but being on a low fat diet, I am not allowed to indulge in it! But the Split Pea Soup..I bet I could handle that one!! Yumm

Beth E. said...

Sounds yummy to me...I love soups!