Saturday, March 28, 2009

Day 8 a Weigh In and Good News!!

I couldn't wait to get out of bed this morning to weigh!  It was dark and rainy here and both of us slept a little later than usual.  Hubby is usually up at 5 no matter what day of the week.  This morning at 7:30 he was still sleeping away.  I got up first to take out the dogs and then came back in and stripped off my PJs and jumped on the scales.  I lost 4 pounds!!!  I'm so glad.  Had I not, I would have been so disappointed.  That's why I decided we were only going to weigh once a week.It's easy to become discouraged because your weight fluctuates a little bit each day.  I'm pleased with 4 pounds for my first week.  I know I won't lose that much every week and I'd rather lose it slowly anyway.  Pretty exciting though.  OH! and the hubby lost 5 1/2.  I knew he'd lose more.  He's much more active than me plus men just lose faster. Sigh!

Today I made us parfaits for breakfast.  Glasses filled with layers of vanilla lowfat yogurt, fresh sliced strawberries and crunchy gingersnap granola.  It was yummy.  Would be very good with most any fresh fruit.  While I was making it I thought about fresh sweet peaches this summer and how good that will be.  The granola I found at Harris Teeter.  We both love granola anyway and this is flavored with ginger which has a little bit of a burny bite to it.  The cereal is really good.

We also made hummus today.  It's one of our favorite snacks.  We love it on crackers, to dip veggies in, spread on a tortilla or in a pita pocket with some raw veggies.  I'll post the recipe at the bottom of this post.  For lunch we had hard toasted ciabata bread spread with hummus and a few carrot sticks and celery sticks.  It was so filling.

Tonight I made one of the best things I've had all week.....Lettuce wraps.  Earlier today I cooked a pot of Uncle Ben's brown rice.  I always cook my rice in broth or stock, not water.  It gives it so much more flavor.  I cooked 1 1/2 cups brown rice in 2 cans of Vegetable broth.  I grated in a small carrot while it was cooking.  When it was done I added the juice of 1/2 lemon and big handful of fresh chopped flat leaf parsley.  I put the lid back on tight and let the parsley steam in.So good.  I'll be making it this way often.  It made a big pot so I can do different things with it.  
Tonight for dinner I took big Romaine lettuce leaves and washed and dried them and then sauteed some julienned veggies.  I made an asian dressing with a few ingredients to put on the rollups.  Topped the lettuce leaf with some rice, veggies and drizzled on some dressing.  They were amazing.  I'll post the recipe below.  I think I could eat these every day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa's Hummus
This is the main hummus mixture - you can eat like this or add in other items.

2 cans chick peas (also called garbanzo beans)
drain one can and don't drain the other - you will need some of the liquid
2 heaping tblsp. nutritional yeast (this is not bakers yeast)
2 tblsp. cumin
2 tblsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
the juice of one lemon
2 tblsp. olive oil
dash of cayenne pepper
Mix well in food processor adding liquid from chick peas as needed to get the smooth consistency you desire.

Add ins
12-15 black olives
1/4 cup onion (can add more if you like)
handful of fresh cilantro

I mix my chickpea mixture first, remove from food processor and then chop the add ins.  Mix in the add ins with the chickpea mixture.  You can eat right away but the longer it's made, the better it is.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lettuce Wraps
Cooked brown rice (can use white rice but brown is more healthy)
fine strips of carrot
strips of sweet onion
strips of red bell pepper
fresh asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces
handful of brocolli slaw
romaine lettuce leaves

Cook the carrot, onion, pepper, asparagus and broccoli slaw in a tblsp. olive oil until starting to get tender.  You want the veggies to still  have some crunch.

Take a romaine lettuce leaf and trim off the hard stem part
Top with a spoonful of rice and then top with the veggies
Drizzle with Asian dressing 
Enjoy as a hand held food
You really could use any veggies you like.  Next time I'll add in some zuchinni and mushrooms and maybe a sprinkle of finely chopped cashews for some crunch
Yummy!

Asian Sesame Dressing - THIS IS WHAT MADE IT SO YUMMY!!!!

Ingredients

  • 1/4  cup  vegetable oil ( I used half vegetable oil and half extra virgin olive oil)
  • 2  tablespoons  white wine vinegar (I had plain white vinegar and it worked fine)
  • 1  tablespoon  soy sauce  (I used Tamari - an unfermented soy sauce)
  • 2  teaspoons  sugar (I used a packet of stevia)
  • 1/2  teaspoon  sesame oil (I had the toasted sesame oil and it worked fine)
  • 1/4  teaspoon  dried crushed red pepper (the kind like you sprinkle on pizza)

Preparation

Whisk together all ingredients

And Here is the Finished Product - So Good!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

YAY! 4 pounds! good for you. Something I always like doing when I lose a pound (or two or three) is hold in my hands something that weighs the same amount....Its nice that the weight is GONE, but it puts it into perspective, at least for me, to also "see" what is gone! I remember when I had lost 22 pounds....that is what Caleb weighs now! And he's soooo heavy! I need to keep going, and lose 30-40 more....its been a long process! with a baby thrown in there to mess things up! ha! Good luck, keep up the good work!!

Beth E. said...

Great job! I know you are excited about your weight loss...I'm excited for you. :o)

Your recipes look amazing. We are very limited as far as available grocery stores here...you remember what this little town is like! I may have to make a trip in the the "big city" to see if I can buy some of the things you mention in your posts. I'd love to give them a try.