Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day 1

Updated:

It's Day 1 of our new adventure. We're so excited! We got up and weighed (naked). We have had our first meal with no cooked food and we've made our first batch of healthy juice. We're on our way........

Breakfast
Fruit salad consisting of
diced fuji apples, sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, blood orange segments, sliced red seedless grapes, sprinkle of pecans and sprinkle of unsweetened shaved coconut

I whisked up a tablespoon of wildberry preserves (all natural) with a splash of raw apple cider vinegar, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and tossed the fruit in the dressing. Served it up in a bowl with the pecans and coconut on top. It was delicious.


After breakfast we made our first batch of fresh carrot juice. The hubby juices quite often so this was nothing new to him, but I've never drank much of it. I just had my first glass and it was so sweet and good. I took a few pictures of the process.

This is our Norwalk juicer. It first grinds up the carrots and
then presses them to extract the juice

The huge carrots have been washed, scrubbed with a brush, ends cut off
and scraped with a vegetable peeler. We used 10 large carrots.

The first juice being squeezed out. The juicer has a hydraulic press
and it gets every drop of juice out of the carrots

This is what the carrot looks like after it's pressed.
It almost feels like wood shavings it's so dry.

Liquid Gold- We got 36 ounces of juice from the 10 carrots


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lunch
A Huge salad consisting of
Baby romaine lettuce, yellow pepper, red pepper, red onion, green onion, cucumber, sprouts, handful of broccoli slaw, tomatoes, fresh cubes of avocado, celery and a sprinkle of flax seeds.

I made dressing from avocado, lemon juice, a splash of extra virgin olive oil, cumin, sea salt, dash of turmeric and a little water - all whizzed up in the blender. (Note to self:  this would make a great dip for carrot and celery sticks or a great spread for pita pockets or veggie wraps)


It was delicious.  One of the things that I've re-learned is that the digestion of our food starts in the mouth and eating slowly and chewing your food well aids in digestion.  Believe me, with all these crunchy veggies, you have to chew and chew and chew.  It takes a while to eat and it seems more satisfying and filling.  We also don't drink with our meals.  We drink water 30 minutes before and/or after, but not while eating.  Your saliva starts digestion and of course drinking, even if it's water, dilutes the saliva.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This evening we had a snack (might be dinner, because I am not hungry!) of celery sticks smeared with a little almond butter with a few raisins pressed in and drizzled with honey. Yummy!  Again a lot of chewing!

Water!  Water!  Water! and More Carrot Juice.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was pretty easy.  The food was delicious.  The hubby has talked a little about cooked food.I think he'll miss cooked food in the morning more than any other time.  Remember! I'm only aiming for total raw fruits and veggies for the first two weeks.  After that we will add back healthy cooked foods.  

I have had a major headache today but it's not anything to do with the diet.  I got up with it.  I slept a little too long last night and I always get headaches when I do that.  I do expect to have withdrawal headaches in the days to come.  Just coming off soft drinks will do that to me.  I was a soft drink junkie!!


Now we're off to see Madea Goes to Jail!

No comments: