Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 2

Ok, so yesterday I had the most miz headache ever!! It lasted the entire day. After the celery with almond butter I had to go to bed. We didn't make it to the movie: >(  That was probably best anyway now that I think back on it.  The smell of freshly popped buttered popcorn would have been too much.  The hubby loves him some popcorn.  Today I feel a little better but I'm sneezing like crazy. I really hope I'm not coming down with a cold. I'm not hungry at all.

I'm not a breakfast person at all and YES I do know it's the most important meal of the day. I just usually don't feel like eating til I've been up a couple of hours.  This morning we had a filling breakfast which consisted of sliced banana topped with pecans, walnuts, flax seed and drizzled with honey. It was yummy! The hubby had the same but with two bananas. He's gone to the grocery now to locate some fresh corn for a raw corn salad and some dates. Many of the dressing recipes that I have call for a date or two for sweetening and I forgot to pick those up when we were at Earth Fare. Raw honey is also used for sweetening, but dates also help to thicken stuff. I've been devouring every vegetarian blog I can find and I've come up with some great recipes and ideas to try. I'm honestly having fun with this!!

More later today. I have house work to do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scratch the house cleaning, this is too important!

Hubby found fresh corn at the grocery and now I've created two new dishes and everything is RAW. OK, I didn't come up with the recipes.  I just tweaked them a little.  Both recipes came from the Hallelujah Diet book.

Raw Corn Salad
4 ears fresh corn cut from cob - I know this will be much better in the summer with fresh corn straight from the field, but this is surprisingly very sweet and tender

Red bell pepper - diced small
3 scallions - green onions diced small
About 8 grape tomotoes diced up
2-3 tblsp. fresh basil torn up
1/2 of a fresh avocado diced

Mix all this together and cover with plastic - then mix the following dressing

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
I put it all in one of those dressing mixer thingys and shook it up good.  Instead of putting it all on the salad in the bowl we're going to add it as we serve it.  


Holiday Sweet Potato Slaw
1 large sweet potato peeled and grated on a hand grater
1 small sweet apple peeled and grated ( I used fuji )
1/2 cup fresh pineapple tidbits
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup raisins

Mix together and cover with plastic - then mix the following dressing.

Holiday Slaw Dressing
1/2 cup vegenaise (vegetarian mayo)
2 tbsp. raw honey
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
dash of cinnamon
Whisk dressing ingredients together until mixed well and add to salad.  Cover and let marinate a while before serving to marry all the flavors.

Note: After eating this we decided it's a lot like carrot/raisin salad.  Was very good.  Almost like dessert.

Now I'm thinking about what I can pack us for lunch tomorrow.  Oh! and I'll have to get up early to prepare hubby's breakfast before he goes to work.  I might make fruit salad tonight or he could even do the banana thing by himself.  I don't go in to work til 12 on Mondays and I usually sleep in, but maybe not anymore!

2 comments:

Christina said...

All the recipes sound really good. I am anxious to see your weight loss. We are doing low fat and so we eat lots of fruits and veggies anyway. I have completely cut out red meat and pork. I still eat lots of chicken, turkey and fish though! I haven't seen fast results like I desire, but I am losing and they say slower loss is better and easier to keep off. Good Luck Cuz! I'm pulling for you!!!

Beth E. said...

Wow...I really admire you. It seems like a lot of work with the planning and the preparation. Pat yourself on the back...you deserve it! :o)