Tuesday, June 30, 2009

P B & J

UPDATED!!!!
I used an 8 inch square cake pan because that's what I had and baked them in two batches. The first batch, I followed the directions completely using the parchment paper in the pan. The jam oozes out a little and the parchment paper stuck to the edges a little. The parchment paper definitely makes it easy to lift the bars out of the pan. BUT I didn't like the jam sticking so the 2nd pan that I just now took out of the oven, I didn't use the paper. I just greased and floured my non stick pan and they did much better. I baked the first pan this afternoon while I was home from work on a split shift and put the rest of the dough in the fridge. When I got home tonight I baked the 2nd batch. I think the dough was easier to work with after being refrigerated. I used Smuckers Red Raspberry jam. It's really good and I think a lot of other flavors would be too. Grape or Strawberry or even apple would work. Give em a try. Really easy and really tasty!

Original Post:
Working a split shift today. I am home for a few hours and will go back and work tonight. I wanted to make a treat this week for the hubby to share with his buddies at work. I might even share with a few of mine. I had been thinking about something I could make. Yesterday while watching the Food Network Ina Garten made these fabulous looking bars. I hit up the grocery today for all the ingredients and the bars are in the oven as I type. Thought I would share the recipe with you all. It's an all time favorite combo of Peanut Butter & Jelly made into cookie bars......Yummy

Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars

Ingredients
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs
2 cups (18 ounces) creamy peanut butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups (18 ounces) raspberry jam or other jam
2/3 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Directions
Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch cake pan. Line it with parchment paper, then grease and flour the pan

Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed with electric mixer until light yellow. Add the vanilla, eggs and peanut butter and mix until all ingredients are combined.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix just until combined.

Spread 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan and spread over the bottom. I used my hands to pat it out. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Drop small globs of the remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don't worry if all the jam isn't covered; it will spread in the oven. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.

The dough tasted great and the bars are cooking up nicely. I think they are going to be a hit.

On the same show Ina made Curried Chicken Wraps. I got the ingredients for those also and I will share that recipe with you later today or tomorrow.

What's cooking in your kitchen???

4 comments:

The Mommy said...

And now I feel depressed again. I'm hoping that the stars will align and I'll be able to compile chicken quesadillas for dinner. I managed to cook the chicken for tonight while I was fixing dinner last night.

Tara said...

I watched that show and it all looked good. Did you notice the lady at the end reach in the paella (sp?) with her fingers and Ina nudged her with the fork. I like Ina but her laughing is like fingernails down a chalkboard. I might give these a shot...PB&J is always a winner in my book.

Christina said...

oh..that sounds delicious. I will have to try that very soon...even if it isn't low fat!!!

Beth E. said...

These sound yummy! I'm can't bake any sweets these days, though. :(