Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Absolute Best.....

Chicken Salad that I have ever had!

Just as I promised in my previous post I'm back to give you the recipe for the awesome Curried Chicken Salad that Ina Garten made on Barefoot Contessa yesterday. It's the best chicken salad ever!! You've got to give it a try. I even made a second batch for the hubby using vegetarian FriChick and he loves it too.

Curried Chicken Wraps

Ingredients
  • 3 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
  • Olive oil
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups good mayo
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine (Note: I didn't have any wine so I used a dash or two of apple juice just to thin the mayo and I think the flavor goes great with the rest of the ingredients)
  • 1/4 cup chutney ( recommended: Major Gray's) **I found this at Lowes Food - on the aisle with the pickles/chow-chow/etc. It's made with mango.
  • 3 TBLS curry powder
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 cup whole roasted, salted cashews, chopped
  • 6 tortillas ( plain flour, whole wheat, roasted red pepper or spinach would be good )

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. (Note: cover pan with a sheet of heavy duty foil and clean up is easy)
  • Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, shredding with a fork. Discard skin and bones.
  • For the dressing....combine mayo, wine, chutney, curry powder and 1 1/2 tsp. salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. You can just use a whisk, I did!
  • Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well. Add the celery, scallions and raisins and mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Add the cashews.

Fill the center of a tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll like a buritto. Cut in half diagonally and serve. The chicken salad would also be great with crackers or the little puff pastry shells you can find in the frozen food section at the grocery.

You can certainly use low fat mayo with this recipe as all the other flavors would really perk it up. I'll definitely be making this again. It's really yummy!


3 comments:

Beth E. said...

I'm gonna try this one...thanks for the recipe!

Blessings,
Beth

Lisa said...

sounds delish!! And with frichick as well.....MMMmmmm!!! Always looking for ways to turn things veggie, even though I love chicken too. :)

The Mommy said...

I'll let you come to my humble commode for lunch if you bring this!