Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rainy Day blues.......

Yeah we need rain around here, but dang it, I'm so ready for some sunshiny spring days.  I can't take much more of this dreariness.

I love being outside in the spring.  Love planting flowers and watching them grow.  This past weekend the hubby and I cleaned out some flower beds, put out a mountain sized pile of mulch, planted some pretty flowers, sowed some seed (zinnias & cosmos), bought tomato plants and squash plants and cucumber plants, got ferns for the porch and two other hanging baskets. Things are looking better. I also put out a spring flag and wreath on my door (last year's wreath because I haven't gotten my energy together to make a new one yet).  We did this between rain showers.  I hate it when it rains on the weekends when I want to be soaking up some sun.  I am thankful for the rain though because I know we needed it bad.

We set out on a trip to the mountains to do some walking and enjoy the sunshine.  About 5 miles from home the sunshine turned to gray skies and it started to drizzle.  It just got worse the farther we drove so we took a detour.  We detoured to Walnut Grove off of 421 to the Amish settlement there.  We saw a few buggies out on the road, lots of Amish and mennonites working in their gardens and flowers and we visited the Shiloh store that is run by Mennonites and bought a few goodies.   The store offers fresh baked breads and pastries, bulk items like flour, dried fruits, raw nuts, jams, jellies, pickled everything, books, quilts, etc. etc. etc.  We bought some crunch soy bean nuts and some dried fruits to snack on.  We love dried pineapple and cranberries and stuff like that.  They had, of all things, dried canteloupe.  I'd never had that before and had to try some.  It's pretty tasty.  Also got a small bag of dried kiwi.  Pretty interesting.  It was a fun, short trip.  Our favorite vacation is to Lancaster County Pennsylvania. We love to go there and spend a week among the Amish. Their way of life just calms my soul. We love to visit in the early fall when they are harvesting pumpkins and the fields are orange with them.  It's so beautiful there.

Where is your favorite place to vacation and why?

Things I'm looking forward to:
  • blooming flowers
  • trip to Gatlinburg with my friend Shelly in two weeks
  • the birth of my new great niece Ellie (due in 5 weeks, but may not be that long!!)
  • the weekend! (I do love my job and I am so thankful for it but I need a weekend!!!)
  • my babies having fresh spring hair cuts so they look like schnauzers again

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Nice post! It is raining here too. And has been that same dreary gray days as well for a while! Your garden/yard sounds so pretty! Post a pic! As far as my favorite vaca spot? Hmmm...It's been forever, and we only went once, but back in April of 1994, my hubby and I had the privilege of going to England for 10 days. It was soooo beautiful. We rode a ferry over the English channel to spend our 3rd anniversary day in France! I would love to go back. We also just love Disney, and want to go back in the next few years with the kids again. As far as local, the Maine coast is absolutely awesome! All 5000+ square miles of it! Happy Sabbath, enjoy your weekend. :)

The Mommy said...

Who will attend the birth and take cute pictures if Baby Ellie's Auntie Sisa is in Gatlinburg and Auntie Charles has to work??????

Beth E. said...

I love the beach! We haven't been able to go the past coupla years for various reasons, and I really miss it. I enjoy walking on the beach, listening to the sounds of the ocean. Something about the ocean just washes the cobwebs out of my brain!

We've had lots of rain, too. I have my little garden patch plowed and ready for planting, and my plants are still sitting in their little containers. We've had rain almost every day for two weeks! I'm ready for some sunshine, too.

Have a great weekend!
P.S. I've tried dried cantaloupe. Didn't care for it too much, though. I'll have to give dried kiwi a try sometime.